Here are some interesting Amazon seller statistics for you to chew on!
What Percentage of Amazon Sellers Are Part Time vs. Full Time?
This was a near 50/50 split.
51.1% of sellers surveyed identified as part time and 48.9% of identified as full time.
How Many Hours Are amazon Sellers Working Each Week?
The most common amount of hours worked was between 11-20. There were a few outliers in the 90+ range but overall, most sellers seem to have a grip on their work/life balance.
How Long Has the Average Seller Been on Amazon?
As you'd expect, full time sellers have been on the platform a little bit longer with a mean start date of August 5th, 2016.
Part time sellers started slightly later on average with a mean start date of October 9th, 2017.
How Much Does the Average Amazon Seller Make Per Year in Profit?
This was the most interesting of all the questions.
The average full time seller reported earning $119,174 per year in profit.
The average part time seller reported earning $33,791.38 per year in profit.
What Is Your Favorite Non Gated Category to Sell In?
Ok this wasn't the best question because toys are technically gated for some sellers in Q4.
What Is Your Favorite Gated Category to Sell In?
Health and Personal Care for the win.
What Other Platforms Do You Sell On?
What Percentage of Amazon Sellers Have Been Suspended?
Most sellers live in constant fear of becoming suspended. Are their fears justified?
How Did Suspended Sellers Handle Their Appeal?
Just how popular are suspension services?
Which Repricers Are Amazon Sellers Using?
Surprising to see that 43% of sellers are leaving so much money on the table!
PS: I recommend Aura. Use code FBATODAY for a nice 20% discount.
More Amazon Selling Statistics
Here are some more quick hitting Amazon selling facts gathered from various sources across the web for 2022.
- Our survey showed that 52% percent of sellers are also using eBay and 45% use Amazon exclusively. Shopify with a measly 7% which was shocking to me.
- Our survey showed that health and beauty was the most popular gated category to sell in (22%) and Jewelry and Luggage tied for the least popular categories.
- Our survey showed that Toys and Games are the most popular ungated category to sell in (36%).
- Our survey showed that the average full time seller reported earning $119,174 per year in profit. and The average part time seller reported earning $33,791.38 per year in profit.
- Our survey showed that 22% of Amazon seller have reported that their accounts have been suspended at least once.
- The category with the highest profit margins (28%) is Computers, and the lowest (14%) is Collectibles & Fine Art. Source
- Average profit margins for Amazon sellers range between 14-28% Source
- More than half of all sales on the Amazon platform are made by third-party sellers. Source
- Last year Amazon sellers sold more than 3.6 billion products (averaging 7,400 per minute). Source
- Private label is the most popular Amazon business model with 59% of sellers engaged in it. Source
- Last year Amazon sellers generated an average of $200,000 in Amazon sales revenue. Source
- 60,000 sellers generated more than $1 million in 2021. Source
- Approximately 3,700 new sellers join Amazon every day. Source
- There are nearly 2 million third-party sellers on Amazon. Source
- Amazon sellers have created an estimated 1.8million US-based jobs. Source
- 89% of sellers use the Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) program with just 32% also using Fulfillment by Merchant (FBM). Source
- 16% of sellers say working with an agency to help manage their business is a key to their success. Source
- 74% of polled sellers are sourcing from China. Source
- 76% of sellers run their businesses primarily from their own homes. Source
- 29% of sellers work with one or more business partners. Source
- 19% of sellers have hired one or more employees. Source
- 69% of sellers spend less than $5,000 to launch on the platform. Source
- In 2020, Amazon made approximately $80.5 billion in third-party seller services. Source